When it comes to air conditioners, regular maintenance is critical for preventing unexpected breakdowns during the hottest days of summer. A professional AC system tune-up will extend the life of the unit and ensure that your air conditioner operates at peak efficiency all summer long, keeping your utility bill in check. Along with a cooling system tune-up, there are some other steps you can take to keep your home cool and comfortable this season:
1. Change your furnace filter at least once a month. Clean filters enable your air conditioner to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner.
2. Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks. If they look excessively dirty, schedule a professional duct cleaning.
3. Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
4. Make sure your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
5. Manage the temperature with a programmable or smart thermostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you're away from home.
6. Block direct sunlight with drapes and window shades.
7. Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
8. Plan hot work for cooler morning and evening hours. Basic household functions such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for the cooling system to do its job.
If your air conditioner is not effectively cooling all areas of your home, or you notice unusual noise coming from your air conditioner, call Ostrom Electrical, Plumbing, Heating, and Air, our experienced technicians can help diagnose the problem and repair your air conditioner so it provides reliable cooling all summer long. We also offer fast AC installation to help you enjoy your home.