When your air conditioner is working normally it will occasional noises. Subtle thumping and whirring sounds are normal. By becoming familiar with the normal operating sounds that an air conditioner makes, you will be able to more easily recognize unusual sounds that could be cause for concern.
Malfunctioning Air Conditioner NoisesAir conditioners have many parts; there are fans, hoses, belts, compressor motors, coils and other components that work together to move cool air throughout your home. As air conditioners age belt often becomes loose, leading to thumping sounds. A clogged air filter reduces airflow and can cause the unit to whine as it cycles on or off. Loose hardware on compressor parts can lead to rattling sounds.
Preventative maintenance is the best way to minimize the likelihood of air conditioner repairs. An AC tune-up includes the following steps that keep your air conditioner operating quietly and reliably:
- Inspection of electrical connections
- Replacement of dirty air filters
- Inspection and lubrication of all moving parts
- Inspection and replacement of worn belts and hoses
- Ensuring that the unit cycles on and off properly
- Inspection of refrigerant levels